“Why are you taking my blood pressure? I’m just here for a cleaning.”
· As hygienists, we get asked this question from time to time.
· High blood pressure is a silent killer—it affects one in three adults. Some people visit us more frequently than their primary doctor; this allows us to aid in detecting high blood pressure and refer patients when needed.
· We take blood pressure on every adult patient
· We care about your overall well-being!
· It isn’t safe to have elective dental treatment performed when someone’s blood pressure is uncontrolled or too high.
· We understand that being at the dental office can raise your level of anxiety. If your blood pressure tends to run high when you come in for your visit, feel free to take your own blood pressure at a grocery store to test it when you may be more calm.